Monday, October 12, 2015

House Made of Straw


I have a bird's nest given to me by a friend who cut the entire branch so the nest would stay intact. So much fun using line and tone with this! I usually let the first drawing on a page dictate what the rest of the drawings on the page will be. If I do a series of three, want to guess where I'm going with this?
There is a phrase, "a house of straw", meaning that it won't take much to topple it down. Well, for 12 days I have stuck to nothing but black and white ink drawings for Inktober. Today I did my ink, but I just HAD to capture the color out there before it all blew away! So I toppled.


I drove to our Cinema in town where I know that the entire parking lot is ablaze with red trees. Beautiful to look at, but not quite what I wanted after all. Then I came around the corner and there in all its glory was a white dumpster, a yellow fire hydrant and above all, a group of trees showing all the fall colors!
It had rained earlier and the colors reflected for a while in the puddles and wet pavement. Perfect!



6 comments:

  1. I didn't know you had been holding out on color for these two weeks -- I figured you were doing color on the side! I've been sneaking in color all along. ;-) Your fallscape was worth waiting for!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I did have color to play with in my weekly classes, but not in my personal sketches. You are actually still using ink, I think. So it still qualifies for Inktober. (I think anything goes, really.)

      Thank you very much for your kind words regarding my fallscape. :) It was a relief to immerse myself into color.

      Delete
  2. Lovely sketch!!! I can't hold off from the color either. I just make sure I do one in ink...and usually leave it. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joan. Good to know someone besides me feels the pain.....and is driven to overachieve! lol

      Delete
  3. Your ink work is beautiful. But I love your watercolor sketches the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kate. Your kind words are much appreciated.

      Delete