Wednesday, October 14, 2015

House Made of Brick

Yes! You were correct. My third in the series is something made of brick. I'm not literally telling the story of the three little pigs and the big bad wolf. I'm just using the materials from which they made their houses as the spark for inspiration.
Inktober Day 14--House made of Brick
I had a bit of a challenge trying to find something that inspired me, but this back alley in Arlington was perfect. There's a small engine repair shop in an original old brick building which has been painted over. The big door (out of photo) in the back alley is where they take in the items needing repair and where all the character lives. Eventually all the guys in the shop had to ask if I was an artist and come over to see what I was drawing.
Straw, Wood,  Brick--Final Sketch in Progress
The sun came out while I was sketching and I may have gotten a bit of sunburn, since I thought that possibility was over for the year and wasn't prepared. I didn't even have sunglasses on hand! I did have a wide brimmed hat in the trunk of my car nearby, but it seemed a bit formal for an alley.

2 comments:

  1. The "house" of brick is great...the ink is perfect for the mortar and the crumbles. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joan. I know! I could hardly believe it when I cruised around the corner and it was already pretty much inked in for me!

      Delete