Friday, February 20, 2015

Still Life with Shirley

No effort spared, I brought these props to class this week.
This week we had such a great time with still life. Using Shirley Trevena as a contemporary example and Picasso, Cezanne, and the Cubist movement to inspire, I started the class by having everyone draw with twigs.

Although Ch’ng Kiah Kiean has recently been getting a lot of well deserved attention for his twig drawings, I have to say that we used them way back, ahem, several decades ago in a college class I attended.

4 comments:

  1. Twigs are always fun for sketching and make some wonderful lines. You students must have loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Joan. Yes, twigs are great fun. I think it takes away the responsibility of a "real" art tool and gives permission to play. They did love it. And came up with some wonderful results, too!

      Delete
  2. LOVE the palette of your still life materials!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete