Sunday, June 3, 2018

Day Three of 30x30 Direct Watercolor

From under the patio umbrella in my back garden.
This was truly a day for "wet in wet" watercolor. As you can see, I checked about halfway through and it was 52°F with 88% humidity. I am literally "zooming in" by foot, between raindrops and then retreating to paint under the patio umbrella.
Work in Progress
I used my Rosemary 1/2" dagger brush and my Kilimanjaro Paint Book, vertically this time, and marked off an approximate 5x7" area with my blue painters' tape to keep the whole thing from running off the edges. I'm realizing this paper is great for wet lifting, but the wet stage lasts quite a bit longer than I'm used to with Arches 140lb CP.

Occasionally I had to run over to my subject for a few details.
No need for squinting to eliminate extraneous detail. My painting spot gave me just the right blur for the big shapes.

4 comments:

  1. I'm imagining you going back and forth to do this in the rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! You would laugh harder if you saw me hopping around in the wet grass in my wide brimmed straw hat and clutching my sketchbook to my chest to keep it dry!

      Delete
  2. I love it!! I’ve been missing being in class and I hope to be back soon. xo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for keeping in touch, Davilynn, and for your kind words. Hope to see you again soon in class.

      Delete