Thursday, January 5, 2017

Evening Sketching at Kahala Mall

While visiting family on the island of O'ahu, Hawaii, I get to enjoy lots of experiences that are unique to this beautiful tropical paradise. This year I had a rare opportunity to sketch with my 7 year old granddaughter along with USk O'ahu. We met at 6pm tonight.
Leila's sketch of fruit bins, Kadomatsu and a customer at the entrance of Kahala Whole Foods.
We met at the north entrance to Whole Foods Market where Leila and I got a head start on the display of Kadomatsu. These are traditional Japanese New Year's decorations made of bamboo, pine branches and tied with rope. A pair of them are usually placed on either side of the entrance of a home between Christmas and January 7. Kadomatsu means "gate pine" in Japanese. Click here for more information on this tradition. 
Inside Whole Foods, there was a plethora of subjects from which to choose. Sebastian appeared at a table outside between sketches and inside I made a makeshift table of some wine boxes while juggling sketch materials and tiny "bears" filled with locally harvested honey. Kristie, an employee, came over to learn more about urban sketchers. She got a business card from Harald and gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek as she left for her break. All too soon it was time to share our sketches and say farewell.
On my way through the check out stand I picked up a small bottle of organic "Ocean" vodka made on Mauii and a tiny brown shopping bag (used to hold a Whole Foods gift card) I added these, a bit of lettering and some narrative to finish off my sketch spread. Here's the result:




No comments:

Post a Comment