Tuesday, February 24, 2015

From Boren to Bangladesh, Virtually

Last weekend, I indulged my urge for travel and adventure.

In the real world, I drove from my home north of Seattle into the city to sketch with the Urban Sketchers at the new Starbucks Roastery near Capitol Hill in Seattle. I drove around, looking for parking on Boren Ave or anywhere nearby. It was Sunday and the place was jammed!
Virtual Paintout in Bangladesh (twig, ink, watercolor)
The day before, I was on  Mazar Rd. in Dhaka in Bangladesh, thanks to the monthly challenge on Virtual Paintout.
I was definitely in the mood for adventure, so I took out my new Perfect Sketchbook, black ink and a twig from the garden (ala Kian Kiean) and my trusty mini watercolor kit. I sat down in front of my laptop with the Google pegman right there on the intersection and sketched away! The place was MORE than jammed!

I, however, had a somewhat aerial view with a fresh latte by my side, a warm, cozy indoor seat, and nobody looking over my shoulder, asking, "What's happening? Why are all these people out here drawing and sketching?" or worse: "Are you an artist?" :/




6 comments:

  1. You are hilarious! And your twig painting is fantastic!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina :). Enjoyable subject. I love using the twig, but I have yet to try the gauze technique.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful details in your sketch! Glad you found a way to be away from the crowds and their pesty comments and questions. I haven't done the Virtual Paintout in soooo long. I should check it out again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joan. Crowds are a challenge in many ways, but I really do enjoy the interaction. This month's location on VP satisfied my desire for color and chaos!

      This could be a way to get you away from the cold snowy trap you're in!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Michele. I'm heading south to GA and then to Myrtle Beach for a watercolor workshop soon. I hope they get their snow plowed by the time I get there. lol I know they were having snow where my brother lives in GA. He promised us a daffodill festival next week...they may not have survived the snow.

      Delete
  3. I have just stumbled across your blog and I love it! I have recently fallen in love with watercolors and I just happened to find your blog during a Google search. Keep it up and thanks for sharing! I'm on the east coast, but you live in my dream state!

    ReplyDelete