Monday, June 16, 2014

Recommended Minimum Watercolor Palette

Since this is the plein air painting season, I thought I would encourage those who have never tried it
before. Very affordable travel palettes are available in art stores and hobby shops. I especially like the Yarka 12 pan set, which sometimes even includes a little brush.
If you already have watercolors in tubes, you can easily make your own travel palette, using your own colors. See complete DYI directions for my tiny Altoids palette here.
Fill each of the empty sections from tubes of watercolor. I used a warm and cool of each of the three primary colors.

Top Row: Permanent Yellow Deep, Vermilion, Manganese Blue

Second Row: Winsor Yellow, Crimson Red Lake, Ultramarine Blue Deep

Tip: Stir freshly squeezed color with a toothpick to make sure it is evenly distributed. Allow paints to dry with the lid open overnight before transporting.

No comments:

Post a Comment