Monday, August 10, 2015

Monday, August 10, at Sue Roberts' Studio

Approaching Guemes Island landing.
I am so glad that I decided to drive up early for our August 10th Anacortes Sketchers' outing! Missy kindly sent me a message about the rain, in case I wanted to wait until after lunch.

Our plan had been to walk on the 11:30am Guemes Island ferry (a 5 minute ride, sailing every half hour) and sketch on the beach while enjoying our own packed lunch. We had an appointment to visit artist Sue Roberts' studio after 1:00pm. I checked the weather and it looked like the rain would stop after 11:30, so I went early, as planned.

As you can see, it was still a bit overcast when I arrived at 11:15 am, but the rain had already stopped. Then I pulled over immediately after disembarking the ferry! Because here was a sweet little red "Gem" just waiting to be painted!
I thought this was the cutest, most colorful thing I would find on the island and set about sketching it immediately! I used my "perfect sketchbook", Micron pen, and my DYI Altoids Mini watercolor kit.
My sketch of the little red "Gem" parked at the ferry line shelter on Guemes.
I ordered fish and chips at the General Store for lunch. Janice and Bonnie were outside on the patio. What a view! It's right across the street from the ferry landing.  When my order came, the cook offered us an unclaimed order of crab and veggie summer rolls that someone had abandoned in their haste to catch the ferry. It was hard to get those two to wait for just a second while I sketched the crab rolls! Refinements added later.
The cook offered us free crab summer rolls with spicy sauce and ice water.
After sharing our lunch, we took off to visit Sue in her studio. I was wrong about the colorfulness factor! This being my first time at Sue Roberts' Tower Arts Studio, I had no idea what wonders awaited me!

Upstairs is a bedroom, converted from the original studio space overlooking the channel. Sue said it was too distracting. So she moved her major work studio down to the main floor.
Every piece of furniture is a delight to the eye.
I had half a man.....I mean, half a mind to cozy up in the reading nook.
 The beautiful color scheme and ceramic sculptures spill out into the garden and landscape outside.



As you gaze around the studio, there is no end to the imaginative collection of Sue's creations.
Everything is uniquely expressive.
 
If there is an earthquake here, heads will roll!
We got a tour of the studio from top to bottom and all around the grounds. Then we set to work.
So many choices of subject matter, both inside and out!
We tucked a couple of Sue's ceramic pieces in with all our afternoon sketches. Thanks to Annette for climbing to new heights for a great shot!
I stayed as late as I could to finish my sketches inspired by the afternoon at Sue's Tower Arts Studio. Color added at home.
Then, Sue gave us hot crab dip, chips, cool beverages and a homemade chocolate apple cake made just for us by Janice. Yum! Thank you, Sue, for an inspirational, fun and colorful summer retreat!

4 comments:

  1. I love the red "gem" you found when you got off the ferry. Your friend's studio is filled with sketching treasures inside and out. Great job on these!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joan. Great name for little electric car, eh? http://www.polaris.com/en-us/gem-electric-car
      This was an unusually long post for me, but there was no other way to show the sketching treasures from which we had to choose.

      Delete
  2. What a fun and colorful day! Love the red vehicle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was irresistible. Gem cars are electric and can be charged in a standard wall socket! Great for getting around on an island. And it's RED, uh huh!

      Delete